Frugal Living - While - Living Naturally

Surfing the Net looking for deals and information for myself and to share with you. There is no need to rewrite -- It's already available.

My Goal is to spend frugally while living organically, but I will share all the deals I can find with you.

Then, you make your choice to live frugally and/or organically.


Coupon 101: Click on the "Couponing Page" in the right side bar to learn the 5 Easy Steps to Couponing.

Check Out You Tube Video Bar for More Information.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

How to work from home as a transcriptionist

by Crystal on April 4, 2011

Guest post by April at AprilHodson.com
Hundreds of thousands of people are searching for a legitimate way to earn an income from home. Sadly, an overwhelming majority of what they run into is a scam, produces minuscule amounts of money or requires a considerable investment in training programs and/or years of experience.
Home-based transcription is a work-at-home job which allows people to make a real living without special education or experience required. Granted, just like any real job, it takes practice and study to become efficient, but the pay and flexibility of the job can be very rewarding.
I began my own transcription career at age 18. My mom was a small town court reporter from North Carolina and she taught me how to create legal documents. I was able to use the knowledge she gave me to start my own business as a legal transcriptionist.
I quickly discovered that the field of home-based transcription had many available opportunities. It wasn’t just for people with a medical certification, or even just for those with legal training. There were great general transcription positions available open to anyone with a strong work ethic, speedy typing, and good grammar and spelling abilities. Before I knew it, I had several different companies willing to provide me with work!
This proved to be a tremendous blessing for my family. It financially supported us through three years of my husband’s education and an additional two years through some pretty huge life changes. I took my job with me from North Carolina to California and back again to North Carolina, and was even able to work while caring for two precious babies.
Interested in working from home as a transcriptionist? Here are some qualifications needed:
1. Fast Typer: As a transcriptionist, you specialize in converting audio that you hear into specially formatted documents called transcripts. While you have a foot pedal to start and stop the audio when you need to, you will still need an absolute minimum typing speed of 60 words per minute, by hiring company standards and to make the job worth your time and energy.
If you’re not already a fast typist, don’t worry! Practice is all it takes to get your speed up. You can test your speed and work on improving it with transcription and typing practice.
2. Skilled Writer: Proper grammar usage, spelling and punctuation are very important in translating the spoken word to written. You can change the meaning completely by simply misplacing a period or comma. If you need to brush up on your writing skills, I recommend reviewing the guidelines and taking the quizzes by The Basic Elements of English Grammar Guide – University of Calgary.
3. Detailed Reseacher: As a transcriptionist, you are frequently exposed to new ideas, people, places and words you’ve not heard of before. This is a fun part about the job, but it can also be challenging to understand and spell correctly unless you’re skilled at researching. You can find some helpful research resources for transcriptionists that I’ve put together.
You can expect to be paid anywhere from $6 to $60 per hour. When I first started and was learning the ropes, I was able to make about $12-$15 per hour. Knowing what I know now, and having increased my typing speed to 90-100 WPM, I am able to make about $25-$30 per hour. The more you practice and work on improving, generally, the more you’re going to make.
Steps of action to starting out as a transcriptionist:
  • Create a winning resume and cover letter.
  • Make sure you have the tools necessary to perform your work. Many companies require you to type a small transcript as part of your employment application, so it’s best to be ready before applying. You can find a list of tools and software needed here.
  • Start applying to any and all transcription companies you can. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t hear back regarding your first few applications. I applied to nearly 60 companies before I was hired. Once you’ve got your foot in the door, it’s often easier to be accepted by more companies.
Working as a transcriptionist does take a lot of work and discipline, but it’s also a super, straightforward way to earn income from home with refreshingly honest wages for your valuable time and effort.
Happily married and delighted to be the stay-at-home mom of two munchkins (so far), April shares resources and articles relevant to making the most of life as a mom and wife on her new blog, AprilHodson.com. For more information on getting started as a transcriptionist, be sure to visit the Home-Based Transcriptionist section of her blog.
photo credit

Reposted from Money Saving Mom

13 comments:

  1. I hope you're having fun working as a transcriptionist
    It would be too hard me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it's hard. But those ladies make it look so easy

    ReplyDelete
  3. cannot type fast enough for that) but I am glad you have found something that works well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are now lots of ways to make a living from home. Transcription would be a good way to do it if you have good typing skills and enjoy the work. It's great when you can work at a job you enjoy with the flexibility of working from home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have thought about doing this! Thank you for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I always wondered about that profession! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have thought about doing this also! Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting and informative. Good resources. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you having fun at it? That is what is important. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love being a transcriptionist as well. Though I don't know the 'going rate" I am working with one company right now. I'd like to add another one soon.

    ReplyDelete